[texbirds] Quintana Neotropic Bird Sanctuary

  • From: Cecilia-home <criley02@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 18:25:44 -0500

Bird migration yesterday and today ( April 10-11) at Quintana Spring Fling has
been a bit slow. Favorable SE winds have carried most birds over the wood lots
there. But, we have had enough birds to keep our volunteer hosts and visitors
happy. Exciting for me today was seeing that Least Terns have returned in masse
and their calls can be heard everywhere - they compete with the aerial displays
of hundreds of Purple Martin.

In the wood lot, lingering White-crowned and Lincoln's Sparrows, Brown
Thrasher, Gray catbird, and singing House Wren.  Other Migrants included Summer
Tanager chasing honey bees, Orchard and Baltimore Orioles, Yellow-breasted
Chat, Great-crested Flycatcher, and a handful of gorgeous Indigo Buntings.

Hope to see you all at GCBO's Quintana Spring Fling this season- we love
visitors! Volunteers are there to help and just to chat with. Our little
Birders center has drinks, snacks and essential field guides for sale, and
don't forget the online auction to support coastal conservation efforts. Check
out all of the exclusive trips and lots of cool birder stuff at www.gcbo.org.

Life is better with birds!
Cecilia M Riley
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
Lake Jackson, TX
Sent from my iPadEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at