[texbirds] Quinta Mazatlan, McAllen, Dec 6th

  • From: Tiffany Kersten <tiffanykersten@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 16:56:24 -0600

Texbirders,
A brisk but fun walk this morning with a gentleman from San Benito and a
gentleman from Wales. Highlights were our resident McCall's eastern screech
owl in the usual place in the top of the leaning palm on the right side of
the main walkway as you enter, and a common pauraque almost directly on the
other side of the walkway from the owl. The pauraque is sometimes there,
sometimes not.

A small mixed flock was a treat near the end of the walk, with great looks
at a male Wilson's warbler, a black-and-white-warbler, two blue-headed
vireos, several orange-crowned warblers, blue-gray gnatcatchers,
black-crested titmice, and ruby-crowned kinglets.

As always, our resident buff-belled hummingbirds put on quite the show.

Guided bird walks are offered at Quinta Mazatlan on Tuesdays, Fridays, and
Saturdays from 8:30 - 9:30 am.

Saturday, December 7th Special Program: Walk with a Guest Naturalist: Urban
Birding, Dr. Tim Brush, 10 am - 11 am.

Good birding,

Tiffany L. Kersten
McAllen, TX