[texbirds] Freeport CBC: Quintana Section: Sunday December 15 & Buffalo Bayou CBC: Sunday December 29th

  • From: Adam Wood <birdsondabrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Houston Ornithology Group <houston-og@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 15:30:16 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

Happy Holidays and a Happy CBC Season Birders,

Hi, my name is Adam Wood and I am the area leader for the Quintana Section of
the Freeport CBC. The Freeport CBC is on December 15th. I am in need of a few
more birders to help me cover this area which includes the Neotropical Bird
Sanctuary, Xerioscape Park, Bryan Beach and the Quintana Jetty. I am hoping the
group that counts the jetty comes up with a great bird in honor of the late
Steve Gross. The jetty was Steve's favorite spot on the Freeport CBC and he
helped David Sarkozi count birds from the jetty for years. This is a great area
that has produced some fantastic birds over the years. It even has produced the
bird of the count for the last two years running with Great Black-backed Gull
winning most recently last year. So if you are interested in counting in this
area please contact me and I will get you further details.

I am also the compiler for the Buffalo Bayou CBC, which covers most of west
Houston. This years count is on Sunday, December 30th. It is an entirely urban
county but still produces on average a noteworthy 126 species per year. Last
year it produced 133 species. Though it is an urban count there are some large
reservoirs that contain forested and grassland areas that are good for woodland
birds and lingering Neotropical migrants. There are also several large bodies
of water in the count circle that have produced a fair number of ducks
including Redhead and Canvasback. Other notable birds seen in recent years
include Henslow's Sparrow, Fox Sparrow, Harris's Sparrow, Winter Wren, Purple
Finch, Pine Siskin, Lesser Goldfinch, Greater Pewee (1st Harris County Record),
Western Tanager, American Woodcock, and American Bittern to name a few. If you
are also interested in participating in this count please let me know and I
will get you in touch with the area leader of the area you would wish to count
in.

You have the option of counting for just half a day on both counts if you can't
join us for the whole day. If anybody has any questions or needs further
information please let me know. Thank you.

Adam Wood
Houston, Tx
713-515-1692

Adam Wood