[texbirds] Probable Calliope Hummingbird in San Leon, Galveston County

  • From: Stenmead@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 15:23:05 -0500 (EST)

Texbirders,

I finally got a good enough look at the 3rd and smaller hummer that has
been making brief appearances at my feeders to say it is a likely  Calliope.
It is smaller that the two Rufus and has a short thin straight  bill,
shortish/squareist tail with prominent white on the two or  three outer tail
feathers, but not on the center tailfeathers.  The  back is greenish scaly
looking, the sides are rufus, and there are a few  markings on the throat,
similar
to the female or subadult Calliope.

It is an infrequent feeder, I will try to get a photo, if timing and camera
 allow.

Stennie Meadours
San Leon