[texbirds] Re: Predation techniques in American Crows

  • From: Ian Layton <ilayton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "<jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>" <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 21:17:25 -0500

No deer in this case Judy!
Ian Layton
Mission, TX

On Apr 7, 2015, at 8:18 PM, <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx> <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Were they fighting the deer for the downed waxwings? Nature is pretty gory
sometimes.

Judy Kestner
Corpus Christi

---- Ian Layton <ilayton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

============> So, please excuse my ignorance, but I have been observing for
the first
time (today) a predatory behavior in a population of American Crows, and
wondered if anyone had witnessed any thing similar.
I am on a business trip in a building on an office campus that is in a
mixed forested area. The building is clad in mirrored glass. There are a
large number of Cedar Waxwings in the area at the moment (this is in
Birmingham Alabama). I have witnessed on 5-6 occasions today, 3-4 American
Crows attacking the flock and chasing individual CEDW into the windows.
Once stunned, they then devour the stunned/killed birds.
I assume a learned behavior that has been developed in this "clan" of AMCR
based on the combination of large expanses of mirrored glass and excellent
passerine habitat?

--
Ian Layton
Cedar Creek, Bastrop Co., TX