[texbirds] Re: Predation techniques in American Crows

  • From: "Robert Barker" <dmarc-noreply-modpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "bebd@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>, TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ilayton@xxxxxxxxx" <ilayton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 01:30:14 +0000 (UTC)

Funny you should ask...
Just last week, my husband heard terrible shrieking out in our back yard.  He
went out to find an American Crow pulling a baby Eastern Cottontail out of it's
ground nest and the mother rabbit shrieking nearby.  As he ran outside, the
Crow dropped the baby rabbit and the mother grabbed it and stashed it under our
deck.  She moved a second baby under the deck as well.
I don't know that this really qualifies as a predation technique as much as a
fortunate find on the part of the Crow.
Sheryll BarkerCedar Hill, TX

---- Ian Layton <ilayton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

============So, please excuse my ignorance, but I have been observing for the
first
time (today) a predatory behavior in a population of American Crows, and
wondered if anyone had witnessed any thing similar.
I am on a business trip in a building on an office campus that is in a
mixed forested area. The building is clad in mirrored glass. There are a
large number of Cedar Waxwings in the area at the moment (this is in
Birmingham Alabama). I have witnessed on 5-6 occasions today, 3-4 American
Crows attacking the flock and chasing individual CEDW into the windows.
Once stunned, they then devour the stunned/killed birds.
I assume a learned behavior that has been developed in this "clan" of AMCR
based on the combination of large expanses of mirrored glass and excellent
passerine habitat?

--
Ian Layton
Cedar Creek, Bastrop Co., TX