[texbirds] Re: Possible Krider's

  • From: "Doc" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "drbirdie@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "endersgt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <endersgt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 10:54:26 -0600

Hi Kevin and Texbirders,
I suspect your bird is the pale Red-tailed Hawk that Tim Fennell photographed
in the same location (north side of Granger dam) last weekend, and which may
have spent last winter there.
It is a very pale Red-tail, but not a true Krider's IMO. You might say though
that it has "Krider's influence."
If I am able to get photos of this interesting bird this winter, I will put
some on my Flickr page and post a note and link on Texbirds.

Your other birds are almost certainly juvenile Red-tailed Hawks, which are
common in the area in winter. A single Harris's Hawk, whether adult or
juvenile, would be an exceptional rarity in this area, and four would be
unprecedented.
Byron Stone, Austin

Sent from my iPhoneEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at