[texbirds] Port O'Connor Sept 4

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 10:53:14 -0500

  Haven't been able to get out over the past week so this morning I did
some patch birding after seeing the migrants in the Hockey's backyard..
Yeah for the day after Labor W/E..one can almost nap on the streets here
now, the lasy summer holiday is over, kids are gone back to school, summer
houses boarded up...Just the way it is supposed to be..  I did not get an
early start for various reasons but wish I had as birding was very good
early on.

  Highlight of the morning by far was a fairly ratty Yellow-rumped
Warbler...I do not think in my time  that I have ever had a YRWA that
preceded my FOF Kinglet or Orange-crowned and am near positive I have never
had a YRWA on the coast this early, ever.  As I said the bird seemed to be
molting out of alternate, which surprises me as I did not think they would
migrate during that time.  I did look at the Birds of the Upper Texas Coast
and they show Sept. 14 to be their earliest date.

  Also had my FOF Catbird and a spotted thrush, likely the default
Swainson's.   This morning was mainly one of R. E. Vireos, empids, various
warblers etc., with half a doz. or so Y. B. Flycatchers, Blue Grosbeaks,
orioles....

  That is about it.  Am not gonna post a long boring list of everything
seen but you get the idea.  Green Herons are really on the move, found two
groups of day roosting birds this morning.

--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist