[texbirds] Poert O'Connor myth buster

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 20:22:45 -0500

   So we are sitting on the Balcony just being lazy and watching a couple
of adult male Frigatebirds jostle larids for a late snack when we see
something out there flying directly toward the house in profile that had an
unusual flight for a water bird or gull.   As it got closer and closer we
realized that we were looking at a Swallow-tailed Kite coming across the
bay.  Beautiful .....It flew directly over us, providing me a new "sq. mile
bird" and the Hockeys a new yard bird.....A bird I have been told will not
cross over large bodies of water.
   Now depending on where you measure from here on the front beach, the bay
is 13 to 34 miles across.   And unless the kite flew down the peninsula,
then left that to fly north before coming in from the NE, that bird crossed
a bunch of water,   Even had if flown in from the peninsula, it had to
cross 3-5 miles of open water  coming in from the direction it did.
Migrant raptors other than accipiters , Ospreys and falcons are rare in POC.

   Godwits and willets are really flowing by.  Hordes of Swallows.

--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist