[texbirds] Piping Plovers - Bell County

  • From: Michael Stewart <acridotheres.tristis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 22:05:48 -0500

This evening Gil Eckrich headed out to Union Grove WMA on the south side of
Stillhouse Hollow Lake at 6:30. We found one Hudsonian Godwit, several
Wilson's Phalaropes, several Semipalmated Plovers, two Piping Plovers and
one White-rumped Sandpiper.
There were a few other shorebirds present that have been around for a while
now, and there was a flock of 100+ Yellow-headed Blackbirds mixed with
Brown-headed Cowbirds.

From the parking area we followed the road all the way to the water and
walked around the land that in wetter years is submerged, this is where the
shorebirds have been hanging out.

Mike Stewart
Ft. Hood