[texbirds] Pine Grosbeak - Guadalupe Mountains NP

  • From: "Erik Huebner" <ehuebner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 21:18:45 -0600

Texbirders,

Sorry for the belated post. On Sunday morning, December 30, 2012, I observed
a male Pine Grosbeak (Pinicola enucleator) in the Dog Canyon area of
Guadalupe Mountains National Park (GMNP), Culberson County, TX.  The
location of the bird was approximately 3.5 miles up the Tejas Trail (aka Dog
Canyon Trail), near the junction with the McKittrick Canyon Trail. This is
the western end of McKittrick Ridge. I was unable to get a photograph of the
bird. The bird lit briefly on a dead conifer, but the wind was gusting
strong and the bird descended downslope and I was unable to relocate it.
While obviously not chaseable, I still recommend that birders keep an eye
out for this species if visiting the park this winter, as at least one
previous record exists from the park.

My Dec 28-31 trip to the park produced no other rarities, but in terms of
GMNP specialties, I did have a Juniper Titmouse across the road from the
Ranger Station/Residences at the Dog Canyon entrance.

Erik Huebner
Austin