[texbirds] Pearland Barn Owl this AM

  • From: Mirampellerin@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:53:22 -0400 (EDT)

I was riding my recumbent trike in my neighborhood this at 4:45 AM when I
saw a Barn Owl swoop down from a tree next to a street light and pounce on a
 mouse in the weeds along side the street.  The intersection was Wingtail
and West Lea Streets. It took off after about 45 seconds and carried the
rodent  into the trees.

I have been hearing Great Horned Owls calling in the early morning for a
couple of weeks, but have heard no Barn Owls since last spring.  Not sure
where it is residing, but there are a couple of horse stables near my  house,
maybe that is where it roosts.

Mira Merritt-Pellerin