[texbirds] Peacocks in Texas?

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 18:07:15 +0000

Dear Texbirders,

I am trying to assemble information about feral populations of peacocks in
Texas. I am aware of two fairly sizable populations in the Houston area of more
than 50 birds each. One is in the Memorial area in west Houston in the vicinity
of Dairy Ashford. The other is in SE Houston in the vicinity of Pecan Grove.
Both of these populations have been in the respective areas since at least the
mid-1980s. Both are increasing without any management or subsequent releases.
They do benefit from some supplemental feeding but both are prone to
harassment, dogs and traffic mortality.

Are there other populations in Houston?

What about Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin or San Antonio. Perhaps other places in
East  or Central Texas.

I am not interested in sightings of a single bird but trying to locate and
quantify viable populations within the state.

Fred Collins
             (281) 357-5324
Director: Kleb Woods Nature Center
             Cypress Top Historical Park