[texbirds] Palm Warbler and Red Crossbills

  • From: Cameron Carver <c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LEAS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <LEAS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 11:32:16 -0600

Greetings,

On Monday I drove around Lubbock looking for large stands of pine that may
reliably hold Red Crossbill. Rawls Golf Course and the Tech Soccer Complex were
the best candidates.
Yesterday morning I drove out to the soccer complex and hadn't walked 10 ft
before I had Red Crossbill. I found 11 birds, mostly males. Later Ross Rickett
showed up and we either found part of the original flock or we found 6 more.
This spot has a lot of pines and a lot of cone.

Soon after I left the park, Steve Collins called with a Palm Warbler at
MacKenzie Park. I ran out there an easily found and photographed the bird in a
flock of Eastern Bluebirds and Yellow-rumped Warblers. Other good birds at the
location was a slightly out of range Golden-fronted Woodpecker and a male Downy.

Cameron Carver
Lubbock, TX

Sent from my iPhoneEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at