[texbirds] Painted Redstart update

  • From: Tim Brush <txbrush5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 08:49:34 -0500

I saw and heard the Painted Redstart again this morning, from 8:24-8:35. It
was calling and foraging actively in the Education courtyard to the north
of the Science Building. The repeated "schree" call led me to it. As
before, the bird hopped or made short flights from branch to branch,
pursuing and sometimes capturing small moths. Twice it flew to the ground
to capture a moth, then back up into a Montezuma bald-cypress and live oak
tree. At one point a House Wren flew up and foraged within a couple meters.
On this coolish, overcast morning with a light drizzle, it almost felt like
Valley winter birding!
Regards,
Tim Brush
Edinburg, TX