[texbirds] Re: PEARLAND: 2 SWAINSON'S HAWKS (OR POSSIBLY SAME ONE)

  • From: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 16:37:25 -0500

Mira,

Loks looks like an excellent year for Swainson's Hawk in the area of
Pearland. A couple of times now I've seen two pair at my house near
Pearland (288/Beltway) screaming at each other. There is also a pair
not far away at Ann Taylor Park. likely a good year for rodents I
expect.

You have some good observations, you should consider at least entering
them as incidental observations in eBird.org. While incidental
observations don't have a great value for most analysis, they to
provide a record of whats happening in a rapidly urbanizing area like
ours.

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Mira M Pellerin
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> While driving around Pearland this AM, I saw 2 SWHA's or possibly the same
> one twice.
>
> I saw the first SWHA fly out of a small group of trees along the north side
> of Bailey Road and land on a light pole; this was just east of the RR Track
> overpass, and west of Highway 35 S. This was at 9:30 AM.  This location is
> about 3 miles east of my house.
>
> While returning to Pearland at 10:30 AM, driving south on Highway 288, just
> south of McHard Road I saw either another Swainson's Hawk, or the same one,
> fly from a wooded area near Clear Creek onto a light pole along 288.  This is
> about 6 miles as the hawk flies from the other  location.
>
> I have seen Swainson's Hawks on a nest near my house 8 years ago (about 3/4
> of a mile north of my house on FM 1128). I hope that these hawks are nesting
> nearby again.
>
> Mira M. Pellerin

David Sarkozi
Houston, TX