[texbirds] PEARLAND: 2 SWAINSON'S HAWKS (OR POSSIBLY SAME ONE)

  • From: "Mira M Pellerin" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mirampellerin@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 17:16:56 -0400 (EDT)

While driving around Pearland this AM, I saw 2 SWHA's or possibly the same one
twice.

I saw the first SWHA fly out of a small group of trees along the north side of
Bailey Road and land on a light pole; this was just east of the RR Track
overpass, and west of Highway 35 S. This was at 9:30 AM.  This location is
about 3 miles east of my house.

While returning to Pearland at 10:30 AM, driving south on Highway 288, just
south of McHard Road I saw either another Swainson's Hawk, or the same one, fly
from a wooded area near Clear Creek onto a light pole along 288.  This is about
6 miles as the hawk flies from the other  location.

I have seen Swainson's Hawks on a nest near my house 8 years ago (about 3/4 of
a mile north of my house on FM 1128). I hope that these hawks are nesting
nearby again.

Mira M. Pellerin