[texbirds] Re: Out of print

  • From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bertf@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 19:05:33 -0500

I did the same thing as Bert with a copy of Howell & Webb. Unfortunately,
that method does not hold up well in the field (at least for me!), so I
started carrying van Perlo's book in the field. Serves me sufficiently
well, although I agree with Bert about the weak descriptions.
On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 6:50 PM, Bert Frenz <bertf@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Steve,
I have traveled in Mexico and Central America by RV, so I had the luxury of
carrying several Mexico bird books. Peterson's book is too dated.
Edwards
book has too many errors. I have van Perlo's book too, but it includes too
many species and too little description. The only one I used regularly is
Howell & Webb. Actually, I had two copies, one bound as delivered, and the
second one split into 3 parts, the center part being the plates only, then
rebound in a spiral format at a copy store. That is usually the one I
carried in the field as it was light and easy to pack.
Bert
-----
Bert Frenz
Oaks & Praries of Texas
NAB subregional editor, north-east Texas
Bert2@xxxxxxxxxxx
www.bafrenz.com