[texbirds] One hour at Smith Point tower

  • From: Tony leukering <greatgrayowl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 09:06:08 -0500

Hi all:
I just spent one hour (from 7:55) counting birds at and/or passing the tower.
The swallow conveyor is in full force, with passage rates exceeding 100/minute
for much of that hour.  The highlight, though, was the gnatcatcher flight.
Before today, my personal best was 193, from the tower a week or so ago.  It
took me just 45 minutes to beat that, and another couple minutes to double the
eBird filter limit and reach 200.  The final tally was 252; I really wonder how
many I'd have gotten on a full day's count!

Other highlights were good numbers of Eastern Kingbirds and Dickcissels, plus
three heard-only Upland Sandpipers.  Now I have to go to town and get a bunch
of errands run and computer work done.  Aaaarrrgh!  Tad gets most of the best
days on the tower!

Enjoy,

Tony

Tony Leukering