[texbirds] 8 Tern day; FOS HY COTE and BLTE; FOTEs with gray body; Colombian necktie; more

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 23:07:05 -0400 (EDT)

What can be better than 8 Tern day? - 9+ Tern day but I did not have that
one, not yet. This weekend  (Saturday and Monday; skipped Sunday as I  was
afraid that beaches will be overcrowded by people not birds) was  phenomenal
at Quintana mudflats - not only because of terns but other  shorebirds as
well. On Saturday I had 8 Tern day (seven in view at the same time  -
Gull-billed I saw only inside marshes). Monday was similar (I did not look for
GBTE) with 7 terns in view - I managed to get photo of 5 tern species next to
each other plus Black Skimmer in background for icing. Other two terns were
near  by but did not want to squeeze into the group photo.

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/152152573/original
I took too many interesting photos to be even able to check them all  but
here are a few as examples.

Please be aware that adult Forster’s Terns during this time of the year are
 molting into basic plumage and some might have gray body feathers - in
similar  pattern to "diagnostic" trait of Common Tern! So much for some field
marks.

http://www.pbase.com/image/152152650

Today I had FOS juvenile Common Tern; juvenile Black Terns are already
here. Cutie with legs still pinkish.

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/152152537
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/152152538

One Caspian Tern must had problem with Colombian mafia - had “Colombian
necktie”. BTW this is not a first time I see this condition - anybody knows
what  can be reason for this?

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/152152518

Must be a good fishing as many Royal Terns were choking on large  fishes.

On the ground

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/152152527
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/152152528

And on the wing (some looking very pregnant)

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/152152529

Also there were 2 subadult Lesser Black-backed Gulls (during all this
summer months I saw up to 4  there but never looked for them specifically).  As
up to today I did not see any adults yet but one older one look  similar to
the adult so it might be confusing.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field