[texbirds] Re: Old Port Isabel Rd & South Padre (Common Tern??)

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 18:49:46 -0500

Most of the first year birds have red legs, sometimes as red as adults
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/99104515

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/81534631

The beak can be red too but not all red
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/86162998

Note that many of the tern plates were done at the british museum and that
European terns have different soft part colors then American birds. Maybe
our sandwich will become Cabot's again. Also soft part colors fade to black
on museum specimens if the are not painted when collected or after based on
pictures of the specimen. Come colors will be changed in the future or in
the latest. Also affects royal, Caspian, black terns too.

Lots of leg and bill colors of our terns at
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/1230_terns_alcids