[texbirds] Old Port Isabel Rd & South Padre (Common Tern??)

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 19:36:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

Yes, the most interesting bird was a tern on the bay side access of South
Padre (just north of the Convention Centre) that superficially at least
looked  like a non-breeding Common Tern, with a very black nape and a good
carpal  bar.  The only thing that didn't match Sibley's illustration was that
this  bird had reddish legs, and Sibley shows black.  Mark B., I know you had
some good comparison photos awhile back, can you give us that link again?
Photos are here (and you'll have to scroll down a little):

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2013%20Field%20Trips/June/Old%20Port
%20Isabel%20Road.html

Other highlights include distant but conclusive views of an Aplomado Falcon
 family along OPIR, concerts by both Cassin's and Botteri's Sparrows, and a
 knockout Blue Grosbeak at the north end.  South Padre (primarily the
boardwalk areas) had out in the open Clapper Rails, several Least Bitterns (one

flying into the picture as I was shooting a momma Mottled Duck and her
baby),  and not one, not two, but THREE frigatebirds flying over!!  A pair of
Tropical Kingbirds in the CC "migrant trap" area were interesting, although I
 know I've had them there before.

Ebird lists are below:

Cameron Co.- Old Port Isabel Rd, Cameron, US-TX
Jun 30, 2013 6:39 AM -  8:02 AM
Protocol: Traveling
7.0 mile(s)
29 species
Northern  Bobwhite  5
Great Egret  1
Harris's Hawk  1
White-tailed  Hawk  1
Willet  6
Long-billed Curlew  5
Laughing  Gull  20
Rock Pigeon  1
Mourning Dove  3
Common  Ground-Dove  2
Common Nighthawk  1
Golden-fronted  Woodpecker  4
Aplomado Falcon  4
Brown-crested Flycatcher   4
White-eyed Vireo  1
Horned Lark  1
Verdin   2
Bewick's Wren  3
Cactus Wren  3
Northern Mockingbird   15
Curve-billed Thrasher  1
Olive Sparrow  3
Botteri's  Sparrow  8
Cassin's Sparrow  20
Northern Cardinal   2
Blue Grosbeak  5
Red-winged Blackbird  4
Eastern  Meadowlark  20
Great-tailed Grackle  1

South Padre Island (LTC 034), Cameron, US-TX
Jun 30, 2013 8:29 AM -  11:39 AM
Protocol: Traveling
7.5 mile(s)
Comments:      Including Bay Access area north of Convention Centre, CC
grounds &  Boardwalk, Birding Center Boardwalk, Sheepshead Lots, & Causeway
Footbridge
41 species

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  6
Mottled  Duck  7
Blue-winged Teal  4
Pied-billed Grebe   5
Magnificent Frigatebird  3
Neotropic Cormorant  1
Brown  Pelican  5
Least Bittern  3
Great Blue Heron  15
Great  Egret  6
Snowy Egret  12
Tricolored Heron  5
Reddish  Egret  4
Cattle Egret  5
White Ibis  5
Roseate  Spoonbill  4
Clapper Rail  5
Common Gallinule   3
American Coot  12
Wilson's Plover  2
Killdeer   3
American Oystercatcher  1
Black-necked Stilt   2
Willet  9
Marbled Godwit  3
Laughing Gull  50
Least  Tern  20
Caspian Tern  2
Common Tern (Common)  1   Bird had a complete black nape and dark carpal
bar, also seen in  flight to rule out a shadow affect
Royal Tern  40
Sandwich Tern   30
Rock Pigeon  2
Eurasian Collared-Dove  12