[texbirds] OK : texbirds Digest V3 #175

  • From: Janet Landry <janetl@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 14:44:45 +0000

Sent: Friday, June 20, 2014 12:06 AM
To: texbirds digest users
Subject: texbirds Digest V3 #175

texbirds Digest Thu, 19 Jun 2014        Volume: 03  Issue: 175

In This Issue:
                [texbirds] BNWR YESTERDAY (BRAZORIA NWR)
                [texbirds] UPDATE ON PREVIOUS LIST FROM BRNW
                [texbirds] Wood Storks today
                [texbirds] update on belated report
                [texbirds] RFI: Balcones Canyonlands NWR birding
                [texbirds] Galveston to Anahuac today, shorebirds, terns and

Subject: [texbirds] BNWR YESTERDAY (BRAZORIA NWR)
From: "Mira M Pellerin" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender
"mirampellerin@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 10:10:49 -0400 (EDT)

I took an old friend of mine birding with me yesterday to BNWR; she used to
live locally, but she retired to Arkansas about 6 years ago.  She wanted to see
if she could find any unusual birds while there, and she did.  We saw (partial
list only, those that are underlined are birds that I have not seen there
before):

No. Bobwhite (a lifer for her) - - and heard at least 2 others.. We saw the
first one as it was flying (yes flying!) over the boardwalk at pond at the
Visitors Center.
Mottled ducks
Fulvous whistling duck (only one)
Black bellied whistling ducks (2)
Pied billed grebes - 2
Black necked stilts - several
Least Bittern - one flyby on the loop around the pond Crested Caracaras - 2
immature ones giving us good photo ops by landing on the road in front of us
and not moving for several minutes (the first road to the right from the
visitor's center) Seaside sparrows - at least two (another lifer for her), seen
in same area as the CCs.
Least  Tern - one - seen feeding over water at fishing area.
Black Tern - one seen feeding in pond on auto loop.

On  the way back to my house in Pearland, I saw the immature Osprey again,
flying low over the storm water retention pond on Magnolia St., which is about
half empty now, and soon will be totally dry if the high temps continue much
longer with no rain. First time since the pond was created that I have seen it
this low (over 5 years).

Mira M. Pellerin
Pearland, TX

------------------------------

Subject: [texbirds] UPDATE ON PREVIOUS LIST FROM BRNW
From: "Mira M Pellerin" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender
"mirampellerin@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 10:32:36 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry, but I did not know that the formatting of my previous email would not
show up, so here are the birds that I saw which I have not seen there before:

No. Bobwhite
Least Bittern
Black Tern
Seaside sparrows

Mira M. Pellerin

------------------------------

From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [texbirds] Wood Storks today
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 16:28:46 +0000

This morning while driving to work I swung by Hegar Lakes for the first time in
a week or maybe two and right next to the road on the west side in beautiful
morning light were at least 30 Wood Stork.
Then while taking a group of kids on a nature walk here at Kleb Woods Nature
Preserve we spotted a soaring and circling flock of 61 of the beautiful
prehistoric beast high in the blue sky. The kids were impressed that so many
birds were above them.

Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road,Tomball TX 77377

Harris County Precinct 3
Steve Radack Commissioner

------------------------------

From: "Ray Porter" <ray.porter314@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [texbirds] update on belated report
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 12:02:09 -0500

I believe yesterday I made a belated report on Common Loon. I am penalizing
myself 25 yds for inappropriate use and abuse of the word "juvenile". I have
since been apprised that there are no breeding loons in Texas and so there can
be no juveniles. I therefore amend my report to say, either a 1st year
individual or an adult in basic plummage.

Ray Porter
Highlands, Texas

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 12:07:30 -0400
Subject: [texbirds] RFI: Balcones Canyonlands NWR birding
From: andrew melnykovych <estiles74@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi-
Apologies if this went through before, but I didn't see it in archives, so here
we go again....

While I am in Texas in mid-July, I plan to spend a morning in in Balcones
Canyonlands NWR. (will be basically stuck in downtown Dallas otherwise)

My question is as follows: I intend to be in the field at sunrise. To maximize
my chances, should I start at the Shin Oak area and then go through Doeskin
Ranch to Warbler Vista, or do it in the opposite direction?

My primary target birds are Golden-cheeked Warbler and Black-capped Vireo (and
Black-crested Titmouse, which ought to be relatively easy no matter which
direction I go). Also will be looking for Golden-fronted Woodpecker.

Any and all advice much appreciated. Off-list to estiles74@xxxxxxxxx

Thanks

Andrew M., Kentucky

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 17:57:49 -0500
Subject: [texbirds] Galveston to Anahuac today, shorebirds, terns and a golden
From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>

I did a counter-clockwise loop around the bay today with a start on 61st street
which did not have any lingering loons.
The tropical kingbird pair is on their 3rd nest location this year and still no
fledged chicks after either 12 or 13 tries in 4 years. The male was up dawn
singing on the A&M tract and the female responded from the nest area and once
came over, complimented the singer and went back to the nest.
Not a good location as grackles are nesting in the same grove as in the past.

Went out and walked east beach which had at least 700 black terns resting on
the sand in the least tern area. Was scolded by many black terns but only a
couple of least terns. Had a couple flying least tern chicks back inside the
barrier but they did not move far.

Shorebirds included a single (and maybe a second) white-rumped sandpiper, 2
dozen each western willets and sanderlings, single black-bellied and
semipalmated plovers, 2 semipalmated sandpipers and 2 unk peeps.

Had no frigatebirds on the ferry ride but my first fledged brown pelican of the
season really did not know he needed to get out of the way of the boat but the
boat shifted course.

Frenchtown road pond and Bob road ponds are still full without shorebird edge
but may have habitat in a bit.

Walked out on the jetty and there is really a lot of weed on the west side with
lots of odor too. Laughing gulls getting goodies along with egrets and herons
which can walk without sinking on much of the mat.

Added pictures for my mangy gull contest for the summer and today's gull
actually has a golden hue besides severe feather wear and mange or whatever
rots the feather material. My first golden gull (Larus aureatus) on the UTC or
anywhere for that matter.

I walked a good way down bolivar flats and there were some good tidal pools
with lots of western willets and sanderlings. A couple of sanderling may have
been returning birds or at least birds that mainly molted into breeding plumage
but did not go all the way north. One sure did not look like my idea a a
sanderling until it joined a second. There were a couple dozen of the western
willets and sanderlings going west from Retillon and lots more western willets
all the way up through Crystal Beach.

Other shorebirds were 8 western sandpipers, 2 semipalmated plovers and 9 ruddy
turnstones. The tide was high and Rollover pass only had a few birds in close
and most islands and bars were covered. One common tern had a really good
carpal bar.

The rice is wet in Skillern and there is some great shorebird habitat without
any shorebirds except lots of black-necked stilts. Maybe 50 black terns were
running around in a shallow area with short rice catching flies.
The area may stay good through the weekend. The rice fields on Fairview were
flooded or being flooded but they do not keep water long. There are also new
rice fields just getting started so returning shorebirds may have some habitat
away from the coast.

Shoveler pond had lots of peeping, mainly common gallinules. The young
pied-billed grebes are getting grown except for the wings which are still very
rudimentary. Lots of baby black-necked stilts out and about and killdeer still
on eggs. Black-bellied whistling ducks have newly hatched chicks which are
about the neatest baby ducks.

I have seen a broad-winged hawk over the highway by white's park a couple of
times since may. Was not sure if they were lingering or breeders. They are
still there so probably breeders. They apparently live to the east of the
highway and only spend a bit of time over the edge of the park or at least I
cannot find them in there. Red-headed woodpeckers are around the new corrals
and barns so the construction did not run them off.

Only a 1 or 2 weeks until shorebird migration really gets going.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston

End of texbirds Digest V3 #175