[texbirds] Now: Bird Stress (Was: Black-throated Gray Warbler)

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "C. Savage" <txpaczki@xxxxxxxxx>, "brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx" <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>, Jim Hailey <irasciblej@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 02:40:05 -0400

Dang it!    One more try, this time from the laptop in the hotel room, not the
iPad.   Funny, but the iPad worked fine yesterday from Frankfurt airport.  Ah,
technology....
Clay Taylor
(Currently in Austria)
Calallen (Corpus Christi) TX

Sent from my iPhone

Subject: Re: Black-throated Gray Warbler (Now): Bird Stress
All -

Ok, here I DO have proof as to the effect of handling wild birds on stress
levels, at least for one specific technique.

In the 1980s, I was doing a lot of hawk banding in New York State.   A
veterinarian that was also a state-licensed bird rehabber and raptor enthusiast
took blood samples from migrating raptors that we caught.   He was trying to
see what blood chemistry was considered "normal" for a healthy migrant, so
their clinic could compare those levels to the blood from a traumatized bird
that might be sent to their facility by state wildlife agents.  Pretty
straightforward.

When we capture migrating hawks, we hold then in a container with their heads
covered, mimicking a falconer's hood, while we weigh, measure, and band them.
Some people have questioned whether this holding period was in fact stressful
to the birds.   The vet decided to see how the hawk's blood chemistry,
specifically white blood cell counts, changed over time while being held.   If
the birds were under significant stress, their white blood cell count would
spike relatively quickly.   He said that a freshly-captured gull (the poster
child for badly-behaving wild birds) would show a huge increase in 5 to 10
minutes, and they would take a long time to return to normal.

We would capture a hawk (usually a Sharp-shinned or Cooper's Hawk) and within a
minute or two of the capture take a blood sample in a micropipette.   After the
blood coagulated at the puncture and the flow stopped, we would continue with
the weighing, measuring, and banding as normal.   Then we left the hawks
resting quietly in their container before taking a second sample.   We varied
the times between one and two hours.   Holding them any longer than that would
not have made a difference, as by that time the stress would have either
manifested itself or not.

It took him a few months to do all the blood studies (counting the average
number of white blood cells must have been VERY tedious!), and he did publish
the results in a veterinary journal.   The result was that more than 90% of the
hawks tested showed NO elevation of white blood cell counts at all, and the
remaining <10% had counts that were fractionally higher than the first sample.
All of those values were well within the range of healthy responses to the
handling.

The caveat here is that different bird species do react differently to stress,
but we did at least prove the efficiency of hawk handling techniques.   In my
years banding passerines as well as raptors, we always tried to keep the
subjects restrained and hooded or covered.

Anecdotally, when we would release captured hawks, most of them would return to
hunting or migrating behavior almost immediately.   A number of them would even
return later to the banding station, as they were actively hunting the area
again.   So much for traumatized Coops.

Clay Taylor
Calallen (Corpus Christi) TX
Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent from my iPad

From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>>
To: Jim Hailey <irasciblej@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:irasciblej@xxxxxxxxx>>
Cc: "<heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>"
<heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>; Clay Taylor
<Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>;
"texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2013 4:25 PM
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Black-throated Gray Warbler

Me too even tho danger iS my business.  B

Sent from my iPhone