[texbirds] North Lake, Dallas - Black and Least Terns, Wilson's Phalaropes

  • From: Christian Walker <christian.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 09:54:43 -0500

Hi,
Last night I tried to go to the Valley View Pond at the 635/George Bush area
where I had had great numbers of waders and good numbers of shorebirds the
other day, but the recent rains had filled it up so much that there were only
two Snowy Egrets present.
So I decided to go find North Lake which I had seen on my map.  I tried several
different access points and never got views of the water, but eventually I did
get some very distant views of the lake by going in off of Beltline to the
Cypress Waters apartment complex.  I set up my scope at the fence at the back
of the units and got some very distant views of the lake.  I wasn’t going to
stay long because it was so far away, but I ended up staying about 40 minutes
trying to identify all the birds I could see.  I didn’t have much hope of
identifying any shorebirds smaller than Greater Yellowlegs and Stilts (although
there were some smaller species out there), but I did see a large flock of
Black Terns, plenty of Least Terns, a Canada Goose, and a flock of Blue-winged
Teal.  I also had a flock of shorebirds in my scope for about five minutes as
they flew over the shoreline which I finally identified as Wilson’s Phalaropes.
 There was a Loggerhead Shrike on Hackberry Road too.
I may go back, but a scope is a must.

Good birding,

Christian Walker
University of Dallas
Irving, TX
512 431-2495
North Lake Pk (Dallas Co), Dallas, US-TX
Aug 19, 2014 6:50 PM - 7:30 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     Clear, 5-10 SE winds, around 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
19 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose  1
Mallard  1
Blue-winged Teal  6