[texbirds] Re: NEXRAD radar images of Purple Martin roosts

  • From: Jake McCumber <jake_mccumber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 10:56:31 -0700 (PDT)

John et al,

The radar imagery of martin roosts and other wildlife really is fascinating and
fun to watch.  I pay very close attention to the martins in the radar as part
of my population assessment of the Highland Mall roost.  Last year it was
interesting to see the interaction of the departing martins and arriving bats
since the bats were having to forage for long periods.  I could see more linear
movements of bats returning to urban bridges while the martins were departing
the roost in their stereotypical ring.

The martins are showing up very well in the radar this year; better than last
year actually as there seem to be significantly more birds at the roosts.  I
presume this is due to actual breeding success this year.  Oddly (to me anyway)
they have been more difficult to survey this year because they are leaving the
roost earlier in the morning than last year.  They seem to be shifting a bit
later as the season goes on so I've gotten a couple good counts in.  Much more
work to be done...

I'll post a regional radar image to the Texbirds Facebook page for those
interested.  There are notable roosts (not all visible on a single day or radar
image) in Medina, Travis, Palo Pinto, Titus, Gregg Smith, McLennan, Harris,
Fort Bend, and Jefferson Counties.  It would be really amazing to have others
do roost dispersal surveys at some of these locations as some of these others
appear to have similar magnitude to Highland Mall.

These premigratory Purple Martin roosts really are an amazing phenomenon!

Cheers,
Jake McCumber
Austin