[texbirds] NE Travis Co and Bastrop Co - Short-eared Owls, longspurs, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Hairy Woodpeckers

  • From: Christian Walker <christian.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:46:58 -0600

Hello,

Bill and Judy Quick and I spent a full day birding the area around Carlson and
New Sweden in NE Travis Co, and then down along Sayersville Road to Lake
Bastrop and Buescher SP.  Highlights in the morning included incredible looks
at at least 7 Short-eared Owls, and McCown's and Lapland Longspurs thanks to
Nate McGowan.  We could not find a Chestnut-collared in the longspur flocks
along Wells Road, but did have a male Merlin blast by.  The Horned Larks were
also singing.
Ran into Chuck Sexton right before he found his Prairie Falcon.  Our good luck
must've rubbed off on him - you're welcome Chuck.
Sayersville Road down from Elgin was pretty birdy.  We stopped along most of
the creek crossings and picked up a lot of usuals, including an eastern-looking
Bewick's Wren, and called in a Red-breasted Nuthatch.  Didn't manage to pull up
a White-breasted.
Lake Bastrop had almost nothing on it, but we managed to get a Marsh Wren out
of the reeds, and enjoyed the Osprey show.
There was a calling Hairy Woodpecker near the lake in Buescher SP, which we did
not see, as well as a nice feeding flock that had Brown Creeper and another
Red-breasted Nuthatch.  We also birded a burned area along the park road
connecting the two state parks.  We had great looks at a male Hairy Woodpecker,
as well as many Pileateds.  We also had a Western Meadowlark sitting in the top
of a burnt pine singing his heart out.  That was a first for me.

Good birding,

Christian Walker
University of Dallas
Irving, TX