[texbirds] Mountain Plover - Bolivar yes

  • From: David McDonald <dkmmdpa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 11:26:31 -0600

Hi Texbirders,

Thanks to Susan Heath for finding the Mountain Plover on Bolivar and
posting it.

This has been a nemesis bird for me both to see and photo. I saw it
only once before in mid-90s on Settegast Road in Galveston.

Since I started taking photos, I have looked for it 3 times in the
RGV where they are supposed to hang out, but never found it. Also
looked for it in California with a guide and struck out.

As the weather forecast was rain today, I headed to the ferry by 6:45
and arrived at the Flats by 9. The bird was quickly found just beyond
the bollards with a flock of shorebirds, it flew back before the
bollards with the flock and I got these photos.

This first photo was while sun behind the clouds. Notice the
distinctive white all around the eye.   http://www.pbase.com/image/158645847

And in sunlight, he appears even warmer
brown...   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158645849

He was hanging out with a flock of Piping Plovers, but is
larger.....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158645852

Thanks a million Sue for finding this great bird!

Good birding y'all

David McDonald
Friendswood TX