[texbirds] Local interest: Monk Parakeets on SE DFW airport property. seen 12/26/2014

  • From: "JimJones-FWAS" <jjones4fwas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 12:16:46 -0600

This is for County Listers..

On yesterday's Village Creek Drying Beds CBC, my group observed a flock of
7 Monk Parakeets on DFW property.

I drive this road quite frequently as it offers an alternative to HWY 183. I
have not seen Monk Parakeets along this road before.

The small flock was first seen in the tree-line to the south of East
Airfield Drive, just east of 26th Ave. We drove over to Valley View Lane and
Walnut Hill Lane intersection, then south on Valley View to the power
transmission switchyard (across from the Irving City Animal Shelter) to see
if there was a nest visible but had no luck. It did give us a closer view of
the parakeets as they had flown up onto the power lines.

I had heard rumors of a Monk Parakeets being seen in Irving but those were
towards Dallas and Grand Prairie.

This section of the airport property is Dallas county.

If the birds are observed west of Passport Drive (towards the south entrance
road to the airport terminals), that is Tarrant County.

If you do go, please note they frown on folks getting out of their cars on
Airfield Drive. But security seems to tolerate folks stopping in the
emergency pull-over lane for short time-periods. Security will show up or do
a drive-by if you sit there for longer than 10 minutes.

Jim Jones

Ft Worth Audubon