[texbirds] Mitred Parakeet in McAllen

  • From: DON BESTE <bestedm@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 18:58:49 +0000

Last night my husband and I went to the 10th Street & Violet gathering of the
Green Parakeets.   We met up with some very nice visitors from Colorado and
Australia that were also viewing the flocking.  One of them pointed out a
Red-Crowned Parrot in the mix.  I took some photos of it - which in sundown
conditions were not great.  When I pulled them up on my computer, I felt the
Red-Crowned, was probably not a Red-Crowned at all.  I sent the photo to Mary
Gustavson for verification.  She concurred that it was indeed a Mitred
Parakeet.  It was a life bird for me and I thought it could be for someone else
if they knew it was mixed in with the Green Parakeets and knew to look for it.
 Mary BesteEdinburg, TX