[texbirds] Mirando City adventure

  • From: "Judy Kestner" <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds posts" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 07:58:50 -0500

Last weekend I had the pleasure of spending time at the San Jose Ranch in
Mirando City, Webb County with five of my favorite female people.  We had a
lovely time birding on this property, which has been developed with two 750 sq.
ft. guest cottages on a small pond, complete with short pier and two wildlife
blinds.
The place is swarming with Northern Bob White.  (Hey, Teresa, no plural!!) They
called from morning to night, and wandered all over -- on the roads in front of
our vehicle, coming to the bird feeders in the yard of the cottages and out in
the monte.  We agreed that the familiar call was one thing we would miss
terribly after we left.

While there we also watched
- several male Bronzed Cowbirds hovering over females, again and again, with
absolutely no interest shown by their love-interests
- a Mourning Dove on her nest right outside our kitchen window
- a Yellow Warbler with stunningly brilliant red streaks on its breast
- Northern Waterthrush bob-bob-bobbing along
- Lesser Nightwawks dipping over the pond at dusk (close to 20 were counted
early one morning)
- Scissor-tailed Flycatcher and male Northern Cardinal continually
belly-flopping in the water in late afternoon
- many Curve-billed Thrashers singing their hearts out
- Green Heron stalking the verge of the pond

Great front porch perfect for kicking back with a glass of chardonnay or a
Shiner and enjoying the coolth of the evening.

The final meal at Lala's Restaurant capped a weekend to remember.

If you are interested in info on this lovely place (the owners were
extraordinarily fine people -- loaded us up with fresh produce from the garden
when we left and loaned us a four-wheeled vehicle to ride around in -- until we
punctured a tire :-P ) -- contact me privately.  I'd love to give them a plug!

Judy Kestner
Corpus Christi