[texbirds] Mind-blowing day in Amarillo / Gray Vireo, etc

  • From: Heidi Trudell <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 19:02:54 -0500

This morning Matt York and I were going to run some errands after a quick
bit of birding - Cameron Carver had suggested we check Thompson Park, so we
tried that and thought we'd be there for 30-45 minutes. Six and a half
hours later, 83 species were in the notes! Errands are overrated.
It was productive enough that Cameron summoned several other
local/semi-local birders - Barrett, Susan, and Ashley - and the afternoon
was spent finding/attempting to refind some of the morning's birds
(Blackpoll Warbler, yes, Red-breasted Nuthatch, yes, Cassin's Vireo, no)
and kicking up a good number of additional species.

Highlights:
2 Semipalmated Plovers
3+ Downy Woodpeckers (probably closer to 5 but everything was moving)
1 Gray Vireo found by Cameron
1 Cassin's Vireo
1 Red-breasted Nuthatch
1 Northern Waterthrush
1 Black and white Warbler
1 Blackpoll Warbler
2 Nashville Warblers
1 Rose-breasted Grosbeak
1 Lazuli Bunting

...there was just movement everywhere and roving flocks of Yellow-rumped
and Orange-crowned Warblers held some nice additions. Pine Siskins and
American Goldfinches were present in good numbers as well.

Full list - http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S14004532

As an aside, many thanks to those of you who have been in touch in the last
few weeks; we've not been posting much due to moving (still in Marathon, no
worries) and family obligations, but we do very much appreciate the support
and notes to check on us - this year has put us through the wringer.
Birding therapy is the best.

Happy trails,
-h

Heidi Trudell & Matthew York
(Marathon, currently on the road & Marathon, currently Amarillo)

--

Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities. -
Mark Twain