[texbirds] Migration notes in Junction

  • From: "Rhandy Helton" <rjhelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 13:21:40 -0500

Black-capped Vireo's are still around South Llano River State Park and with a
little effort can be seen. Where I have noticed 3 or 4 calling in the mornings
are near the first bird blind (Lora's). They are on both sides of the road,
even near the parking lot to Lora's. I had 3 different birds this morning. Two
different ones have been calling at the curve just before you come to the blind
near the road that goes through the gate into the private ranch property. These
birds may be coming into the blind for water but I haven't spent much time in
the blind. Otherwise today some migrant push included:
Wilson's Warbler (6 or more in large pecans at picnic area at river crossing).
Yellow Warbler (3+, same area).
Least Flycatcher 4 mostly same area and on through Day-Use area.
FOS American Kestrel.
Dickcissel 2

Some recent developments at the Junction Wastewater Ponds are the City has
decided to lock the middle gate so at present birders either just drive the
road or use the fence walk-over near the entrance. If you just drive the road
you are not going to see much although the fenceline has been pretty productive
for Yellow Warblers--I had near 20 one day recently, also Yellow-headed
Blackbirds on several occasions. Black Terns have also been prevalent the past
3 weeks. Shorebirds have been slow and primarily because the best pond with
mudflats has grown up in sedge (Cyperus sp.), so, not much mudflat remaining.
Our winter freezes should take care of it and with lack of rain that also
doesn't help the situation. Check around the other ponds as I have recently
observed Baird's and Least Sandpipers, Upland Sandpipers (fly-overs and
calling).

The reason for the locked gates is that Septic Clean-out businesses have been
dumping illegally. I plan on talking to the city to see if middle gate can be
opened as that gate was not used by the Septic businesses and it is the best
one for birders to use.

Rhandy J. Helton
Junction, TX