[texbirds] Hummingbird Festival at Kleb Woods Nature Preserve

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "1 Texbirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 17:52:18 +0000

Dear all,
This Saturday, Sept. 13, is Commissioner Radack's annual Hummingbird Festival.
It is a free event from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM.  We will have three speakers during
the day. Houston Chronicle nature columnist, Gary Clark, will talk about
Tropical Hummingbirds at 10:00 AM. He would be happy to autograph any of his
books if you bring them. Our hummingbird bander Sumita Prasad will talk about
hummingbirds at 11:15 AM. When not giving her presentation she will be
capturing and banding hummers. She is a walking encyclopedia of wildlife and
hummingbird knowledge. The final speaker of the day is Mary Ann Weber of the
Houston Audubon Society. She will speak at 2:00 PM. Her program is Feathers:
the essence of being a bird. During her talk she will have her live birds to
help her including hawks and owls. Between 10:00 AM and 1:30 PM you can visit
the Houston Audubon Society booth and see some of her live hawks and owls as
well.

In addition to these speakers, there are activity booths for kids and
information booths for adults. We are happy to have with us also this year
Stephen F. Austin State Park and The Texas Native Plant Society. The Katy
Prairie Conservancy will be here making prairie grass seed balls, a popular
activity among children. Some of our Kleb Woods volunteers will have a booth
for creative kids to make bird masks. Others will test the physical abilities
of children to compare their strength and speed with that of a hummingbird. The
Piney Woods Chapter of the Texas Master Naturalist are again providing guided
nature walks. We also have collected from generous Texans across the state
hundreds of bird and nature related magazines and books that visitors may take
home. To round out the day visitors may also visit the 1896 Kleb Farm House and
watch a blacksmith demonstration in the barn.

We are watching the weather and wondering if it will be hot and muggy which
will cause the good number of hummingbirds we currently have to increase. Or if
this front passes and brings us dry cool weather. If it does, it might well
blow all our hummingbirds away and instead of having 100 hummers we will only
have 10 or 12. Such are the unpredictable circumstances that involve a nature
based festival. Regardless of the hummingbird numbers our volunteers have
prepared a pleasant and educational day for your family. I hope you come and
enjoy what gifts the volunteers and nature provides.

A flyer is available on request to share it with family, friends, and others
you might think are interested.

Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road,Tomball TX 77377