[texbirds] McCulloch Co. - Friday, 4/25

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 22:18:10 -0500

TexBirders,

As for most West Texas reservoirs that are not bone dry, the receding shoreline
at BRADY LAKE has a lot of potential for the current Spring shorebird
migration.  I found a small concentration of shorebirds in the muddy inlet of
Bear Creek at the (high and dry) boat ramp off of FM 2028 on the south side of
the lake, and near another boat ramp at the north end of Lake Brady Park where
the south end of the dam first meets dry land.  I scrambled around looking for
viewing access on the N shore but it’s hard to get shoreline access there.
Scope views of flooded weeds in the lake were good for waterfowl and other
waterbirds.  I found 8 species of shorebirds including a couple dozen Baird’s
Sandpipers and a swirling flock of 17 Willets which didn’t seem to want to
settle anywhere.

RICHARDS PARK on the west side of Brady (town) is definetly worth a check.  It
has a pecan bottom, a weedy creek and narrow fishing lake, but low water levels
and much human activity on a Friday afternoon limited birding opportunities.
Both Great Crested and Ash-throated Flycatchers were on territory in the park.

Chuck Sexton
AustinEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at