[texbirds] Coke Co. - Saturday, 4/26

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 23:06:23 -0500

TexBirders,

E. V. SPENCE RESERVOIR has very low water levels but that still leaves miles of
shoreline, and a complex geometry with acres of flooded weeds and lots of
backwater areas.  Depending on time of day, either the many access points from
Wildcat Marina Road (south side) or Lake View Park (north side) allow viewing
but much of the shoreline is steep and rocky.  The complex of gravel, sandbars,
and old levees in front of Lake View Park were interesting but treacherous by
truck or foot.

Curiously, I found some of the best shorebird concentrations on the muddy banks
of the river accessed from a small two-track road eminating toward the shore
from Rough Creek Park.  High clearance is a necessity…and don’t try to drive
too close to the river’s edge.  Avocets, Baird’s Sandpipers, and some waterfowl
were taking advantage of the muddy shallow shoreline there.

The lake/river is nowhere to be seen from Paint Creek Park; it isn’t worth a
visit for waterbirds until the lake returns.

Birding highlights at Spence included:

Waterfowl - fair numbers of six remnant wintering/migrant species; undoubtedly
better in mid-winter.
Common Loon - 3 in breeding plumage.
Grebes - 3 spp including 3 Westerns; several Eared were in breeding plumage.
shorebirds - 8 spp.
Peregrine Falcon - 2, harassing waterfowl and each other.

If water levels remain anywhere near as low as they are at present, I suspect
that summer birding (July-Aug-Sept) might be good for post-breeding dispersal
of waterbirds from the coast.

The SANCO LOOP and nearby roads north out of Robert Lee are a must for Coke
County, particularly the scrub juniper on the short stretches on/near limestone
hills.  I had 2 singing Scott’s Orioles (one on the N part of the loop and
another along Denman Lane) and a Western Scrub-Jay.  Another area to explore
with similar habitats is MOUNTAIN ROAD off of FM 2034 in the area SW of Spence
Reservoir.  The latter area was “ravaged” by severe wildfires a few years ago
which cleared off much of the juniper but reset much of the oak brush.  The
habitat was pretty quiet in mid-afternoon when I birded the roadsides there but
it may harbor Black-capped Vireos soon, if not already.

In the town of Robert Lee, the municipal GOLF COURSE (accessed from Austin St
on the NE side of town) has some interesting riparian woods and brush but there
was no one available at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday morning from whom to ask
permission to enter.  Despite what the latest Google Earth image shows,
MOUNTAIN CREEK RESERVOIR (city water supply?) is bone dry!  I found FERN HAVINS
PARK on the west side of town (on the dry Colorado River) of very limited
interest for birds; the small water supply reservoir there cannot be viewed.

Question:  Does anyone know what the birding is like at Oak Creek Reservoir in
the NE corner of the county?  I didn’t have time to visit there.

Chuck Sexton
AustinEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at