[texbirds] Re: May 5 - Urban Birding Excursion, Austin

  • From: Jake McCumber <jake_mccumber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 11:08:49 -0700 (PDT)

Chuck, et al.,

I woke up this morning hearing the rain and looked at the weather seeing that
the rain started between 2 and 3 in the morning.  I was very excited as this
seemed like ideal conditions for migrant traps like the Capital (as you
suggested).

I went down to the State Capital for an hour, then went to Camp Mabry.  Both
were extremely slow, particularly for migrants.  There were a couple of Yellow
Warblers at each and the Capital had just a couple of redstarts, and
orange-crowned warbler, and Orchard Orioles.  The slow birding was capped by
finding that the Great Horned Owls nesting at Camp Mabry seem to have abandoned
their nest for unknown reasons that I need to investigate further.

I was extremely surprised by the slow birding given what should have been
perfect semi-peak migration birding conditions for Austin and am curious if
others had similar experiences or if it was local (despite consistency between
two locations).

Cheers,
Jake McCumber
Austin