[texbirds] May 5 - Urban Birding Excursion, Austin

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 11:46:12 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

TexBirders,

I made a special urban birding effort Saturday but the migration results were pretty slow. I started at the Capitol at dawn, spent a short while on the U.T. campus, then visited about 10 other parks, greenbelts, and research areas all within the city limits of Austin. For my 14-hour effort--16 miles by car and 9 miles on foot--I ended up with 65 species including just 15 species of migrants. The latter included an Olive-sided Flycatcher and single Golden-winged, Chestnut- sided, and Bay-breasted Warblers (among 10 warbler spp.). By day's end, White-winged Dove (~300) had out-paced Great-tailed Grackle (~250) as the most numerous bird encountered. Collectively, the most abundant 10 species made up 75% of the individuals encountered and probably >95% of the urban avian biomass.

A heavy t-storm has soaked much of Austin overnight, but unfortunately, I'm exhausted and blistered today and won't be able to check out the fallout which is undoubtedly occurring. Timing is everything in migration birding!

Chuck Sexton
Austin, TX
Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds