[texbirds] Maverick County WTHA, 75 species

  • From: Bryan Calk <bryancalk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 20:13:16 -0800 (PST)

Howdy,
Kathy Bader and I took a short drive down to Quemado, TX for the day to see
what we could find; we ended up uncovering a hidden gem.

By serendipity we were invited to private property by a passing stranger and
what we found was a bird haven. Quemado Creek's lower tributary ran through the
property and the owners had a fantastic feeder set up.

Between this property and exploring the ag fields and town, we ended the day
with 75 species.
Personal highlights:
A Juvenile White-tailed Hawk (lifer, NCR?)
2 Long-billed Curlew (lifer)
Wood Ducks
10 total Raptors
Phoebe trifecta
Sandhill Cranes (got to watch them come down and land for the first time which
was cool for me!)

Full List with best estimates on BBWD and blackbirds:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  500
Wood Duck 12
American Wigeon  2
Mallard  16