[texbirds] Mad Island CBC needs

  • From: Brent Ortego <brentortego@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 07:59:42 -0600

I hope everybody is finalizing their Christmas Bird Count plans.  It should be
an exciting season with birders tracking results of continued dry weather in
Texas and major drought in the Mid-West.  There has been a bumper crop of
waterfowl and waterbirds which breed in southern Canada.

Matagorda County - Mad Island Marsh CBC will be celebrating its 20th season
this year on Monday, 17 December.  The T-shirt provided to all participants
will have a Manx Shearwater on the front produced from art work from Dennis
Shepler.  Banquest will be held at Wadsworth Community Center.

We are still in need of a number of birders as follows:

4-wheel drive vehicle.  Our 3 mile stretch of a beach at the mouth of the
Colorado River needs a birder or volunteer with a 4-wheel drive vehicle to
transport birders along this short beach.

The Old Gulf Section which contains most of the CBCs western scrub and
grasslands needs some talented birders who can operate independently and as
part of a team.

The Selkirk Island section which contains about 800 acres of floodplain forests
and also has an important residential area needs some talented birders who can
bird independently.

The wildlife management area section needs some talented birders who will spend
half of the day scoping waterfowl impoundments and half walking grassland
savannahs.

Lastly, we need somebody to drive about 20 miles of roads on the eastern side
of the CBC checking for roadside birds (raptors, waterfowl, passerines, etc.)
while most of the birders will be on private property away from the highways.

Brent Ortego
Victoria, TX
361/576-0022
361/648-9773