[texbirds] Re: MORE ON TODAY'S SIGHTINGS: Re: Amazing Amazon

  • From: Kathleen Joy <kathleen.joy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "live4birds@xxxxxxx" <live4birds@xxxxxxx>, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 06:06:06 -0800 (PST)

I would like to "second" your well stated post.  Our experience yesterday was
similar to yours except the first time we were there was around 7:30 in the
morning when Kenn Kauffman had our bus make a quick stop there on the way to
field trip designation.  The bird had been seen earlier but we missed it.  Alex
and I came back later on our way home from the RGVBF around 1:30 and did get to
see the kingfisher around 2:15.  As you stated the bird was close to the road
but the views were obstructed as she moved around.  We would also like to thank
our fellow birders who helped us locate the kingfisher.  We did get good views
with our naked eye and binoculars but thanks to the birder who let us look
through his scope - fantastic view.

We had a great time at the Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival.  Besides getting
to see the Amazon Kingfisher we also got to see a Hooked-billed Kite on one of
the Rio Grande River pontoon river trips.

Kathleen and Alex Ybanez
New Caney in Southeast Montgomery County