[texbirds] MORE ON TODAY'S SIGHTINGS: Re: Amazing Amazon

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <live4birds@xxxxxxx>, <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 19:40:48 -0600

We will recount here our personal experiences today (November 10, 2013) with
the, indeed amazing, Amazon Kingfisher along Hwy.100, south side, at the
first  resaca that lies east of Expressway. 77. We arrived at about 11:00 AM
and immediately heard reports that the bird had been seen very shortly
before we arrived, subsequent to which it had flown eastward and had not
been re-found. The first sighting we had this afternoon commenced at about
1:35 PM, and we had a second at about 2:20 PM. (The coveted kingfisher was,
on these occasions, initially found by others, not by us.) Fortunately,
quite a few birders were able to see this bird on one or both of those
occasions. Each time, it perched atop an apparently dead branch or a dead
tree. In the earliest of this afternoon's sightings, it provided very
direct, unobstructed observation as it sat upon one of two adjacent dead
tree trunks. Both of these afternoon sightings were along a stretch of the
resaca that runs east/west a short  distance from the roadway (albeit with
considerable vegetation often interfering with ease of observation).

We feel sure that all those who have been seeking this bird join us in
heartfelt gratitude for the work of the law officers who helped ensure that
traffic was kept away from birders who were using the roadside. Thanks are
due, also, for the great helpfulness of various birders in getting others,
including us, onto this exciting bird. Thanks to such individuals, we and
others were able this afternoon to get our photos of this bird at
satisfyingly close ranges.

I do not know whether it has been mentioned previously, but this Amazon
Kingfisher is a female (no red band on the breast), as was the one in early
2010 in Laredo. We today saw, also, a Belted Kingfisher consuming a quite
substantial fish atop of dead stub of a tree, and a birder showed us a photo
taken today of a Green Kingfisher.

Wishing  success to all who seek this major rarity!

Rex and Birgit Stanford
McAllen, TX