[texbirds] Re: Lost Field Guide

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <FCollins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rhardway21@xxxxxxxxx" <rhardway21@xxxxxxxxx>, TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 20:18:57 +0000

The story calls to mind my losing a sentimental valued Peterson Texas guide.
Vic Emanuel, Dennis Shepler and I were returning from our first trip to
southern Mexico in 1969. We had an exciting trip with a touch and go incident
or two and were on our way home. We made a final stop in Edna Texas. It was
late and we were a bunch of young kids headed home. We pooled our money after
our last gas stop and managed to buy 2 cups of coffee and one slice of pie in a
little café. We reminisced about the trip and I made a couple of notes in that
old Peterson Guide. We got up and left to get home a bit after midnight. It
wasn't until the next day that I missed it. I couldn't even call the place
because we had no idea of what the name of the little place was where we had
stopped.

Fortunately I had other notes about most things but I sure hated to lose that
first Peterson. It had been my bedtime companion for many years and I have
always missed having it.

My condolences to you Rob.

Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center