[texbirds] List Owner Message: Please answer a survey on photo locations.

  • From: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 09:18:06 -0500

The recent "Epic" thread on revealing the location of a rare bird and
posting photos has me thinking about a rule change for TEXBIRDS. I am
considering requiring those who post photos to identify the location.
By identifying the location I mean a public birding site (i.e Post
Park Marathon, Hornsby Bend, Bolivar Flats, etc.) or if not on public
site, a bit of detail like "Southwest Chambers County on private
property" or "at a private residence in West Houston".

I think this level of detail would strike a balance between those who
would like to chase a bird, judging how rare a bird is at that local,
and protecting private sites.

The goal of TEXBIRDS is sharing information on birds and birding in
TEXAS. Posting pretty or exception photos without some context is just
ego stroking and doesn't contribute to learning and sharing of
knowledge in the Texas birding community in my opinion.

Please take a moment to answer this survey at:

http://kwiksurveys.com/s.asp?sid=321gf7g2gy02dhw220466