[texbirds] Laguna Gloria -- Sunday 12/30

  • From: Elliott Gordon <tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 10:19:05 -0600

It was quite a chilly morning. The car read 32* as I pulled up and it
didn't warm up much. Luckily, the wind was calm and the birds were active.
I was greeted by Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Black-crested Titmice, and Carolina
Wrens. A few Wood Ducks and the Great Blue Heron were on the Laguna with a
Pied-billed Grebe. A Red-bellied Woodpecker and the first Yellow-rumped
Warbler of the day were nearby. A quick check for the American Woodcock
yielded no luck, it has probably moved to a quieter roost. On my way to the
peninsula (where the Laguna meets Lake Austin), I saw a flock of
Ring-billed Gulls and heard a Belted Kingfisher. The gull show did not stop
the whole day with three large groups circling above the lake. Less
American Coots than normal this morning. Highlights include an
uncooperative Wilson's Warbler: I spent five minutes waiting to see its
head after noticing a small, yellow warbler with dark wings. An
Orange-crowned Warbler posed for photos and the Swamp Sparrows allowed good
looks. Finally, both the Marsh Wren and Winter Wrens stopped by on my way
out.
I have attached the eBird summary of this months birds if it goes through,
otherwise the main message is that there is a nice variety of winter passerines
and waterfowl.

Elliott M. Gordon
Austin, TX