[texbirds] Bastrop CBC

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 09:45:11 -0600

count will be held on Tues. Jan 1, I assume the usual meeting place will be
the Texas Grill on 71 in Bastrop Co. early in the morning...Usually at
dawn.....What will make this a very interesting effort this year is that
many of the locations that were closed due the fire will now be open,
Since the fire the mix of birds has been shuffled greatly and there are new
surprises to be found.  Having surveyed a portion of the fire damaged areas
twice a month every month from Nov. 2011 to Nov. 2012, I can assure all
that it is most interesting especially as one sees the recovery that has
taken place in just the year since the fire.  Bill Carr, renowned botanist
and others have found vegetation that likely remained unseen/unknown until
the fire including long dormant prairie grasses and wildflowers.  Every
survey trip I have made brought loads of surprises.  The past year there
was an explosion of Hairy Woodpeckers and Brown Creepers not to mention
zillions of Bluebirds (has to be a Western or Mountain in there
somewhere.)...As the burned trees age they become more inviting to
woodpeckers and other birds coming to feed on bark beetles and borers.
There is the lake and the river and in short no shortage of areas to bird
with the two state parks and other smaller parks, including the Colorado
River Preserve created in part by the Pine and Prairie Land Trust.  Having
been asked about the CBC all year I expect there will be a good turn out,
even though I am not the compiler.  Anticipating quite an interesting count
this year and hoping I can participate. It is time for my winter survey
anyway.
--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist