[texbirds] Laguna Atascosa NWR

  • From: Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 17:30:24 -0700 (PDT)

I birded the Bayside Loop and spent a little time at the water feature at
Laguna Atascosa NWR this morning. There was exactly ONE duck visible on the
Loop -- a bird that I have tentatively ID'd as a Common Merganser. Why it was
still hanging around I have no idea. It should have been a Red-breasted
Merganser, given the saline environment, but other skilled birders have ID'd it
as a Common. When I compared the bills of a Red-breasted with a Common in my
Sibley the ID pointed to the latter. The bird was backlit so details were hard
to come by. I've uploaded a photograph and would appreciate ID help with this
from Texbird readers.

Best bird, though, was a beautiful White-tailed Hawk, which obligingly posed
for photographs. This species is always a stunner for me.

There also was a first-year Blue-head Vireo at the Visitor's Center. A pack of
coyotes were trailing a Nilgai family in a pasture just outside the refuge.

Photos are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/

Bob Becker
Rancho Viejo