[texbirds] La Laja Ranch, Zapata County

  • From: <pfoster1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 12:26:07 +0000

Yesterday the Monte Mucho Audubon Society's first field trip of the year was to
the beautiful La Laja Ranch in northern Zapata County.  This ranch is along the
Rio Grande and has much varied habitat.  We walked the river trail where the
highlights included two Gray Hawks, a Swainson's Hawk, three White-collared
Seedeaters, 40 Wood Storks, and four oriole species.  We had several singing
Audubon's Orioles, a Bullock's, a Baltimore, and we found three brilliantly
colored Altamira orioles near an Altamira nest.  We all oohed and ahhed over
that.  We had many Yellow Warblers, Olive Sparrows, three wren species, Couch's
Kingbirds, Scissortail Flycatchers and Chachalacas.

This ranch is being offered as a field trip for the Rio Grande Birding
Festival, and I highly recommend it.  I was a part of last year's field trip,
and all participants were able to see seedeaters.  Along the river, it is very
lush and green.

Susan Foster
Laredo, Webb County (still)
Monte Mucho Audubon Society