[texbirds] Re: Krider's and other birds at Anahuac today

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: davidkmcd@xxxxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 06:42:15 -0500 (EST)

I'm wondering if there would be more winter records of Least Bittern if
more people were familiar with their "cack" call--it sounds very rail-like,
and  until someone pointed it out to me, I assumed I WAS hearing some odd rail
 sound!

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX
_www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com/)

In a message dated 12/28/2013 7:13:50 P.M. Central Standard Time,
davidkmcd@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi  Texbirders,

I wanted more photos of the very pale Krider's that I  posted
yesterday, so headed back today.

He was on the exact same  pole as yesterday. It is about 1 mile past
Pear Orchard Road on 1985 on  the way to the Skillern  Tract.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/153942176

In order to  see the age of the bird, the wings need to be seen in flight.

Here he  is landing on another pole. The sharp demarcation of the
wings (dark  medially and light laterally) indicates a  juvenile.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/153942177

And with  his wings were uplifted a moment  later.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/153942178

Sibley  describes the Krider's as being 'scarce'. The juvenile
plumaged bird must  be rarer still. These exact pictures are seen in
Sibley on page  123.

What a great bird! Hope he stays all winter so all can get to see  him.

Other notable birds today at the main tract were Greater
White-fronted Goose, Snow Goose, Ruddy Duck, Marsh and Sedge Wrens,
White-crowned and Swamp Sparrows, Vermilion Flycatcher and a  Merlin.

Here is the Swamp Sparrow, my  FOS.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/153942180

Here is the  Merlin.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/153942285

Another  interesting plumaged bird for me were juvenile plumaged Snow
Geese. They  have brownish heads and gray feathers on the back. Sibley
lists this as an  August to January  plumage.

http://www.pbase.com/image/153942553

The Skillern Tract  also had some great birds. Both an American and
Least Bitterns were  flushed. I was amazed at the Least still being present.

There was a  very cooperative male Vermilion Flycatcher there as well.
My best photo  ever of this beautiful  bird.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/153942179

Good bird  y'all and Happy New Year.

David McDonald
Friendswood  TX

Reposting of traffic from  TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission
from the List  Owner