[texbirds] Kleb Woods Harris's Hawk

  • From: "Kleb Woods (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <klebwoods@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 15:40:33 +0000

This morning a Harris's Hawk flew down Draper path and landed in a tree.  I got
to study the bird for about 3 minutes before it flew off in the direction of
the parking lot.  The bird has not yet been refound.  This is a new bird for
the park, species #233.  Maybe the bird will stick around for next week's bird
walk.
Kleb Woods has bird walks every Wednesday from 8:30 to 11:30 AM.  The walks
meet at the nature center.  In addition to the Harris's Hawk, we hope to find
our winter resident Broad-tailed and Rufous Hummingbirds along with some of the
spring birds found recently, such as Black-and-white Warbler and Northern
Parula.

Also, on April 5th, I will be presenting I-phone as a birding tool from 9:00 to
11:00 AM.  This program will demonstrate the many ways that a smart phone can
help you while birding from basic navigation, service locations, bird finding,
identification and call recognition. This program will be especially useful to
seniors that have some trepidation about new technology.   There will also be
time for individual questions.

As with all programs at Kleb Woods, the bird walks and presentations are free
and open to the public.

Kendra Kocab
Naturalist: Kleb Woods Nature Center
Commissioner Steve Radack